Go Home! Welcome to Beijing!
Welcome What't new General Information Organization Preliminary Registration Publications
Satellite Conference Mails and Messages Local Information Tours Sponsors FAQ
Brief Information
Education & Research
Service facilities
Useful Information
Congress Venue
A Brief Introducation of Beijing
Useful Information
Weather Report | Mean Monthly Temp. in degree Celsius | Beijing weather

Beijing's four seasons

  • Spring (Mar.-May)
  • Summer(Jun.-Aug.)
  • Autumn (Sep.-Oct.)
  • Winter(Dec.-Feb.)
Timezone -- Beijing Time
The time difference between Beijing and the Greenwich Mean Time is 8 hours (Beijing is ahead of GMT). China uses only one standard time, i.e. Beijing time, throughout the country.

RMB (Renminbi) is the only currency to be used in China. Money exchanges by cash or traveler's cheques can be made at the branches of Bank of China at Beijing International Airport, hotels and tourist stores. Please remember to keep the currency exchange receipt with you as it has to be shown to the bank clerk if you are going to convert the remaining amount of RMB back into foreign cash when leaving China.

Conversion services are available for the following foreign currencies: US Dollar, British Pound Sterling, French Franc, Deutsche Mark, Japanese Yen, Australian Dollar, Austrian Schilling, Belgian Franc, Canadian Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Swiss Franc, Danish Krone, Guilder (or Florin), Norwegian Krone, Swedish Krone, Singapore Dollar, Malaysian Ringgit, Italian Lira, Macao Pataca, and Finnish Markka. But note that not all these currencies are accepted at some small money exchange outlets.

Credit cards such as American Express, Diners Club, JCB, Master and Visa are acceptable for payment at hotels or tourist stores. But it is difficult to draw cash with credit cards.

When visitors leave China, they can change the remaining amount of Renminbi back into foreign cash and take out of China within a grace period of six months prior to departure from China, but in doing so they have to display foreign currency conversion receipts.

Postal & Communications Service

All the hotels have postal service. You can send your mail to almost all countries in world. Telephone, Telefax or e-mail in Internet are available in Beijing.

International Calls:

International calls can be made directly in the hotel rooms. For low call rates, you can dial the calls at large post offices (there is one close to the Congress center) or with an IC calling card (sold at the Congress center; the card value is 50 yuan or 100 yuan (US$ 6 or 12).

Postal Services:

Close to the Congress center, there is a large post office where you can buy stamps, mail letters, postcards or parcels, and make international calls. In the Congress center, the business center also offers mail service. The Congress registration desk will provide a service of mailing the proceedings etc. to your home.


Valid passports, preferably not expiring in six months from entry into China, and entry visas are required to enter China. Visas are not required for visitors from some countries, and delegates are advised to consult the nearest Chinese diplomatic mission for details. For the contact information of Chinese diplomatic missions, visitors may visit the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China and click the ministry, and then missions overseas.

A single-entry visa is valid for three months, and can be extended for a month at the Foreigners Section of the Beijing Public Security Bureau if necessary.

Once in China, the delegates are advised to carry their passports on them wherever they are in China as the passports may be needed to check into hotels, book air tickets, and change money.

To apply for visas, delegates should first fill out the registration form and pay an appropriate registration fee. The organizer of the Congress will then mail a formal invitation with which the delegate can make visa application at the Chinese diplomatic mission appointed in the invitation.

On the other hand, the delegates may also ask their travel agents to arrange their travel to China including tourist visa acquisition whether they have registered with the Congress or not.

The organizers cannot accept responsibility for personal accidents or damage to the private property of Congress participants or guests. It is advisable to arrange personal insurance for the Congress and/or post Congress period.
Traffic Map
Water and Electricity
Voltage 220 electricity is used in China. Potable water is available only at a few best hotels, so visitors should always ask to make sure.
Tipping is not customary outside of the foreign joint-venture hotels and is officially discouraged. But hotel bellboys usually expect RMB 2-5 per bag.
The standard spoken Chinese is Putonghua. What is Pinyin? - Pinyin is the official romanization system of the Chinese characters. English can be understood by many young people and is used in hotels and big restaurants.
Beijing Attractions
  • Beijing's HuTong A hutong is an ancient city alley or lane typical in Beijing.
  • Tea houses
  • Chess
2000 © Copyright by Chinese Mathematical Society. All Rights Reserved